How to Choose the Right Nappy For Your Child
When it comes to newborns, one of the most important decisions lies in choosing the right nappy for your child. It might seem like a pretty simple task but as you research more, you will discover that there are a lot of factors that come into play. This might include everything from the age of your baby to the material of the nappy–all these have to be considered when choosing the right nappy.
You might feel a bit overwhelmed by all the various types and brands that you get bombarded by, so allow us to help you.
Read on for Little & Brave’s Ultimate Guide to Finding the Right Nappy! In this guide, we will walk you through the factors you need to look out for when choosing a nappy, how the size charts work, and why this is so important for your baby.
What are the important factors when it comes to picking the right nappy?
This is one of the most common questions that parents of newborn babies have. It is not enough to simply choose the first nappy you see and hope for the best. There are things to be taken into consideration and here we will discuss some of them:
This is perhaps the most vital factor to be considered when it comes to nappies. It will not only help with the baby’s constant need to relieve themselves but will also help prevent a disastrous nappy blowout!
While every nappy is made to be absorbent, some are better than others. For example, Little & Brave’s eco-friendly nappy not only has excellent absorption but is also compostable! An excellent choice for your baby.
This is another vital component. While absorption is definitely important, making sure that the nappy does not leak is also important. This is where Little & Brave’s Snap Wrap and Snap Pant will come in handy. They are specially designed to not only make the nappy more comfortable for the child but also make sure that it is leakproof.
Choosing a comfortable nappy is crucial for your baby's well-being and happiness. Uncomfortable nappies can lead to skin irritation, rashes, and a very grumpy baby. So, it's important to pick a nappy that's made of soft materials, fits well, and doesn't restrict their movements. Remember, a happy baby means a happy parent!
A nappy like the comfy and snug eco nappies from Little & Brave will allow your little one to be able to move around, play, and sleep with ease. It should not be too tight or too loose. You can take a look at our blog on how to change a baby’s nappy so you will be able to tie it the right way.
With these basic functionalities covered, let’s move on to a few more important aspects such as the size chart.
So, how do nappy sizes work and how can you choose the right size for your child?
The nappy size chart can be quite confusing and hard to follow, especially since they don’t always correspond to the age of the baby. Instead, they correspond to the weight of the baby, since babies grow at different paces. The nappy chart provided on our website is quite clear in terms of which size is the best fit for which weight.
However, you might have noticed something a bit conflicting on our size chart and that is how some of the weights overlap. For example, the weight range for size S is 2-8 kg while for size M it is from 6-12 kg. So, you might be more than a little confused when picking the size.
Here are some things to check for to find out if the size is right for your baby:
- The waistband of the nappy should rest right below the belly button of your baby.
- The leg cuffs should not have any gaps. Once the nappy is on, run a finger under the cuffs to make sure that there are no gaps. This is to make sure that there are no leaks.
- After putting on the nappy, you should be able to fit two fingers inside the waistband of the nappy. This will let you know if the nappy is too tight or too loose. The nappy fit on a baby should be snug.
- There should not be any red marks on the baby once you have taken off the nappy.
Now that you have gone through all the effort of picking out the right size for your child, you should be prepared to do this several more times. Babies grow at a fast pace so you will need to keep testing if the nappy needs to be changed to the next size. Let’s go over how you can do that in the next section!
When do I know if my child needs a bigger nappy?
Of course, the best way to know if your child needs a size-up is if their weight has increased and are now in a different bracket of size. But just in case you are not sure even with the weight, here are some tips on how you can know if your baby needs a bigger size:
- If the fastening tapes do not reach the centre of the waistband or if they overlap, the nappy is not the right size. For the first case, you will need to increase the size while the second means that the nappy is simply too big for your baby.
- If you cannot comfortably fit two fingers inside the waistband of the nappy, the size needs to increase.
- If there are red marks on your baby after removing the nappy, it is time for the size to increase.
- If your baby’s bum is not covered completely, the nappy is too small. Go up a size!
- In case the nappy causes diaper rash regularly, it could possibly be because of the small size and a nappy that goes on too tight.
- If your baby is showing signs of discomfort (e.g., pulling at the nappy), it could be because of the small size.
With these signs, you should be able to figure out when it is time for your baby to get the next size of nappies even if you are not able to judge by the weight.
Why is it important to find the right nappy for your child?
Finding the right nappy for your child will not only reduce their discomfort but will also prevent nappy rashes and leakages which are common at their age.
Here are some of the effects you would notice if the nappy is not the right size:
- In case the nappy is too small, it will not only leak due to lack of absorption but will also cause rashes due to excessive moisture.
- If the nappy is too big, the pee and poop might leak out before it is absorbed by the nappy which would once again cause rashes
Either way, the size and material of the nappy play a vital role in making sure that your baby is comfortable and active.
The Bottom Line
It is quite easy to forget about finding the right size for your child’s nappies because you are busy taking care of everything else but this is an important part of your child’s growth. Hopefully, this guide has taught you everything you need to know with regard to this!
You can take a look at some of our other blogs so you can learn more about nappies like everything you need to know about diapers or what you need to keep in your nappy bag! Visit the Little & Brave site to find the perfect nappy for your child today.